The winners of the My Perspective Photographic Awards, which are open to anyone with Down’s syndrome, have been announced.
Daniel Tomes took the overall award for his picture ‘Trees' [pictured], which was taken on a family holiday to Lake Kariba in Zimbabwe. His prize was a high-specification digital camera. It was presented to him at a ceremony held at The Orangery in Kew Gardens by Down’s Syndrome Association (DSA) patron and actress Emma Barton and last year's winner Victoria Campos-Davis.
The annual My Perspective Photographic Competition received more than 250 entries this year. Head judge, professional photographer Richard Bailey, then whittled these down to a short-list of 25, which were presented to the judging panel – which included Barton, and several professional photographers, among others – for consideration.
Bailey said that the quality of the images submitted for this year's competition was “outstanding” and that it had been extremely difficult to narrow down the submissions to just 25. “Those who didn't make it should not be disheartened, but very proud of their work and should continue to take photographs,” he said. “To those who were shortlisted congratulations and I look forward to seeing even more entries next year."
Other winners included:
Second place, runners up – who both received a digital camera:
• Peace at Last! – Zoe Wilton
• Sleeping Beauty – Christian Oku.
High commended, third place – all received a digital photo frame and a certificate of achievement:
• Number 10 – Rosika Edmund
• Boat at Glenuig – Neil Haworth
• Elements – Gabrielle Shann
• Purple Tulips – Stephen Thomas
• Friends – Anna-Marie Nkrumah
• River Usk in Winter – Daniel Geeson
• Colour Crayons - Ailbhe McGill
• Cabbage Monster – Najib Alam
• The Big Wheel – Alan Campbell
• Panorama – Elutherios Granouzis – who travelled from Greece for the first time to attend the awards.
Runners up – all received a framed certificate of achievement:
• Dead and Buried – Chris Diedo
• A Statue – Maria Mantzolopoulou
• Shoreline on Tiree – Edward Phippen
• Whoopee Cushions – Karen Slater
• Thessaloniki's Port – Antonis Xazipetrou
• Basketball – Katy Francis
• Do Not Disturb! – Sam Downing
• Crocus – David Kenward
• Spring Blossom – Anisa Sayed
• The Burren – Elizabeth O'Connor
• Colourful Mpomponieries – Marini Zaprin
• The Three Sisters – David Cormack, who also won in 2011.
Next year's competition is open for entries from October 2013 to April 2014. Find out more about entering for the 2014 competitionhere.
To see all the My Perspectives shortlisted images please view the DSA’s FLickr page.