Local Government Ombudsman, 2012
This complaint to the Local Government Ombudsman was brought by a woman who has a daughter with learning disabilities. She complained on her daughter's behalf that Kent County Council:
- delayed in assessing Miss B's needs and in approving a support plan for her;
- agreed to pay £70 a week for day care for Miss B, then said this funding was only available during college holidays;
- agreed Miss B needed respite care but would only pay for her to stay in one of the respite units it runs;
- refused Mrs B a direct payment to make her own respite care arrangements for Miss B; and
- delayed in providing other services set out in Miss B's support plan, including a service to provide support during the evenings and weekends to enable Miss B to socialise.